All the HTC smartphones which you buy come with their bootloader unlocked and if you want to root your device you need to manually unlock bootloader of HTC Devices. Once you have unlocked bootloader of your HTC device you will be able to root it, install custom roms on it or flash them with CWM or TWRP recovery. Follow the easy step by step guide shared below which will help you to unlock bootloader of HTC devices.
Disclaimer: We at Rooting Tutorials are not responsible if any damage happens to your device. Your Android device might get bricked, SD cards might get corrupted or damaged during the flashing process. You are following this tutorial at your own risk.
- You need to install the drivers of your HTC device on your PC. Download HTC Sync which will install USB drivers of your device.
- Your device should have more than 80% of battery in it.
- Create backup of all the data present in your device. You can easily create backup of Android device by following the easy guides shared below.
Create backup of all apps on Android apps (No Root required)
- This tutorial will only work on unlocked HTC devices. If you are using a carrier locked device this method won’t work.
Guide to unlock bootloader of HTC Devices
You are now ready to follow the step by step guide shared below to unlock bootloader of HTC devices.
- First of all you have to open HTC Dev website on your PC.
- Once you have opened the website click on Register option. You have to create a new account there. Enter all the details asked to register an account on HTC Dev.
- Once you have registered for your account, you will receive an activation e-mail. Activate your account.
- Once you have activated your account, you will see the screen as shown below. Now you have to click on Unlock bootloader and then Get started.
- Click on All Supported models dropdown menu and select the HTC device whose bootloader you want to unlock. Once you have selected the device click on Begin Unlock bootloader
- You will see a warning message as shown below. Click on Yes.
- Read the legal terms if you want to and then check two boxes and finally click Proceed to Unlock instructions.
- Now you have to download Minimal and ADB tools on your PC. Follow the guide to download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools.
- Now you have to switch off your HTC device.
- Enter bootloader menu of HTC smartphone by pressing combination of Volume Down + Power button.
- Use the Volume buttons to go to Fastboot menu and use Power button for making a selection.
- Now you are ready to connect your HTC device with your PC using USB cable.
- Go to the folder where you have installed Minimal Fastboot and ADB tools. The default folder should be C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot or C:\Program Files\Minimal ADB and Fastboot. Open command prompt by pressing Shift Key + right mouse Now select Open command window here and a command window will be opened.
- Now you have to enter the command shared below.
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- You will see a long string of code on your screen. Open this link on your PC.
- Follow the instructions which you see on your screen and copy the identifier token from the command window.
- Once you have copied the code, paste it in the box which is present at the bottom of the page. The box will look something like the one below. Once you have added the code click on Submit
- Now you will get a mail from HTC with a file named bin file. Download the file and paste it on the Minimal Fastboot and ADB tools directory.
- Now in the command prompt enter the command shared below
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
- You will find some instructions on your HTC device. Press Volume up button to accept these instructions and then Power button to affirm.
Congratulations! You have successfully unlocked bootloader of HTC device. Now you can easily root your HTC device, install custom roms on it and enjoy the freedom.